On July 2, 2012 the Kentucky Baptist Convention “relaunched” as a new, streamlined organization. The goal of the reorganization is to re-prioritize our work to serve Kentucky Baptist churches more effectively, while getting resources beyond Kentucky to power missions efforts where they are needed most.
Just a little more than half-way through the first year of the reorganization, significant changes have been made. Click here to read an update from Paul Chitwood, KBC Executive Director-Treasurer.
Read on for background and details related to the reorganization.
Why reorganize the work of the Kentucky Baptist Convention Mission Board staff? How will this reorganization further our mission?
- The time was right to embrace a new model of work that focuses on the role of the KBC: created by churches, for churches, to help churches reach Kentucky and the world for Christ. Click here to read KBC Executive Director-Treasurer Paul Chitwood’s thoughts on the KBC’s relationship with the local church.
- With a fresh approach to consultations, mission board staff will focus their efforts to assist the nearly 2,000 KBC-affiliated congregations that draw 300 people or less to Sunday morning services each week.
- Kentucky Baptists can keep their commitment to send 50 percent of Cooperative Program receipts to national Southern Baptist causes, including the North American Mission Board and the International Mission board.
Why Reorganize Now?
Three factors made the time right for reorganization:
- the global economic downturn
- a decade-long decrease in Cooperative Program giving by Kentucky Baptists.
- Kentucky Baptists’ commitment to cooperation for the sake of the Gospel. In 2010, messengers to the KBC Annual Meeting voted to reprioritize how CP funds are distributed so the International Mission Board, North American Mission Board and other national Southern Baptist causes gain an increasing percentage. Click here to read an update from KBC Executive Director-Treasurer Paul Chitwood about progress towards those goals.
Here are some additional tools to walk you through the vision, the background and some basic questions about the reorganization:
- This KBC Reorganization Fact Sheet and offers an overview of the reorganization and offers some insights into the vision for the future of the Kentucky Baptist Convention.
- Have a question about the reorganization? Browse the KBC Reorganization Frequently Asked Questions Part 1 and Part 2 for answers. Don’t see your question listed? Just ask!
We’ve also on a series of “Q and A” videos addressing the restructuring. Check out the playlist here:
As we navigate this transition together, we’ve created this page as a place to keep Kentucky Baptists informed. Links to important information will be posted here as they become available. If you are not already a subscriber, sign up for Special Delivery, our weekly e-newsletter. Updates about the restructuring and other important news and information will be distributed each week.
We humbly ask that every Kentucky Baptist commit to prayer for the following:
- Please pray that God will be glorified throughout this process, and that the Kingdom will be advanced here in Kentucky and around the world.
- Please pray for wisdom and grace for KBC Executive Director Paul Chitwood as he makes difficult decisions related to the reorganization.
- Please pray for wisdom and vision for Kentucky Baptist Convention Mission Board staff as they prayerfully seek God’s direction for how they can best serve Kentucky Baptists. Click here to read KBC Executive Director-Treasurer Paul Chitwood’s explanation of the core values that govern the Mission Board staff’s character and conduct.
- Please pray for a renewed sense of unity, purpose and commitment among Kentucky Baptists.