Protecting the Vulnerable
Providing safety and security so that all church participants can worship, learn and fellowship together is an essential responsibility of every Kentucky Baptist church. It is not a responsibility to take lightly and all churches — no matter how big or small — must be deliberate in taking appropriate measures to enhance the safety and security of their facilities and programs. Below you’ll find a variety of materials to help you protect your congregation:
Generic Authorization for Background Check. This form gives authorization by the individual to your church/organization and provides the necessary data needed to run a background check. This should be completed by each individual that is going to have a background check.
Kentucky Administrative Office of the Courts forms. Use one of the forms below to request a search of Kentucky criminal records. This service is provided by the KY Court of Justice- AOC- Records Division. These forms should be completed and mailed to Frankfort at the address listed on the form.
- Youth Leader Request (AOC-RU-007): This form is used for individuals (either volunteer or paid staff) that will be working with minors.
- KY AOC_RU_004: This form is used for pre-employment screening or other purposes for individuals that will NOT be working with minors. There is a $20 fee for per person/form.
For individuals that have resided outside of Kentucky, it is recommended that additional records be checked using a background check firm. There are a number of companies that offer this service. Kentucky Baptist Convention uses:
Protect My Ministry is a background check company that offers reduced rates for KBC churches. For individuals that have resided outside of KY, it is recommended to perform background checks that would include checking records outside of KY.
Background Check Links
- Kentucky Sex Offender Registry- Kentucky State Police database of sex offenders
- National Database of Sex Offenders- U.S. Department of Justice sex offender database
Additional Downloadable Resources
- Church Child Protection Basics
- Frequently Asked Questions: Reporting Child Abuse
- Preventing Child Sexual Abuse Within Youth-serving Organizations Manual (U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services manual)
- Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Booklet
- Sample Child Protection Policy
- Sample Screening Questions
- Screening Church Leadership
- Keeping Your Church Safe by Ron Aguiar- A practical blueprint for churches covering all aspects of church security and safety for staff, premises and members. It’s a well-outlined, easy-to-follow guide in establishing an effective security program for congregations of all sizes. Book available from Amazon.com.