What is your vision for women's ministry? Is it one where women grow in their walk with the Lord? Connect with other women? Be the wife, mother, sister, servant and whatever role(s) God has ordained to His glory? Do you desire to see women seek to know Christ more intimately, serving Him faithfully and living in total obedience, sharing Him as they go?
Women can minister to other women; they have the unique gift to meet the needs of women more effectively. Furthermore, many young women who may not live near their families need encouragement, relationships, mentoring and direction to mature spiritually. Titus 2:3-5 reminds us: "Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."
The "ideal" women's ministry is not a stand-alone model. Instead, it works within the purpose of the church, alongside other ministries. It is a diverse ministry, as women are diverse. Some work; some are divorced; some are married; some work outside the home, while others function primarily within the home. The content, activities, schedules, and other pertinent details of women's ministry must be mindful of this diversity.
Benefits of a Women's Ministry
- Women grow in their relationships with the Lord.
- The church has the potential to grow numerically as it reaches women in the community.
- Women find their "niche" or special place to serve from their giftedness.
- Meaningful relationships form within the ministry and the church at large as women connect to God and each other.
- Women are encouraged to discover their spiritual gifts and use them to glorify God, as these gifts further develop through service within the church and community.
- Women from various backgrounds are ministered to through Bible studies and other growth opportunities.
- Inreach (reaching women within the church) and outreach (reaching women outside the church) occur as the ministry organizes itself as a special network of information, service and activities.
- Women receive mentoring and lay counseling.
- Older women (in age and spiritually) mentor to younger women.
- Families are changed as women draw closer to the Lord through. Marriages are saved, children are covered in prayer and so much of God's power is demonstrated as women come together in prayer, accountability, and support.
- Women receive help to fight spiritual battles. The enemy wants nothing more than a lonely, wide-open target. But within the circle of ministry, women develop inner strength through Bible study, as well as the outer support of like-hearted women to stand firm against the enemy.
What is the Task of a Women's Ministry?
Women's ministry exists to:
- Equip women in the local church women to enrich each others' lives through Christ.
- Help women discover their spiritual gifts to use in ministry, as well as determine needs within the community.
- Lead women to accept Christ as Lord and Savior, maintaining a healthy love relationship with Him, sharing Him with others as they go.
from "Women Reaching Women" by Chris Adams